Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lured to the Dark Side .....

After years of resistance, I have reluctantly begun to embrace the Mac platform.  My primary motivation is the of lure of lucre with iOS development in general and developing with the Xcode toolset in particular.

As an unapologetic open-source bigot, I have been frequently incensed by the corporate behavior of Apple under the stewardship of Steve Jobs.  IMHO, the Apple corporate culture is the antithesis of the values dear to open source advocates.  Everything is closed as it possibly can be with Apple.

Plus, there is the Apple approach to intellectual property that makes companies like Microsoft positively beneficent.  This goes back to their galling litigation against Microsoft for their supposed copyright infringement with Windows, when Apple took all of their ideas for their UI from Xerox.

Enough ranting about Apple.  Not surprisingly, I find myself enjoying the Mac interface. However, coming from Linux, I was missing Gnome workspaces until I discovered the Mac Expose/Spaces plugin and I became a very happy camper.

I love knowing that this lovely interface is running on top of a real OS, BSD, and that I can always drop down into a terminal window with a bash shell.

Now my biggest problem with the latest Mac OS is with Java.  Running 64 bit, I am surprised at how slow tools like Eclipse are on my new Mac Server.  I haven't done any timings, but my 3 year old laptop running Ubuntu 10.4 seems a bit friskier for Java.

Maybe the problem will be solved with some tweaking.  I am just a Mac newbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment